Titanic documentary

A general forum for all matter relating to Crich Tramway Museum. This forum does not require registration. Pseudonyms and anonymous post will be accepted. The rules regarding deletion apply.

Titanic documentary

by Christoph Heuer » 03.02.2011, 01:20

Hi all,

the subject line might have been confusing. What has the Titanic got to do with the tramway museum at Crich? Well, here is the story.

I was zapping through the TV channels at home (Germany) tonight more in an attempt to wind down than anything else when I caught some glimpses of a documentary (by Granada TV) about the building of the Titanic. I was not really watching too closely but then a brief scene was shown where angry workers were shouting at the shipyard's owner who drove off in a motor car. In that scene a tramcar, a moving tramcar, was in the foreground. Next was a night scene where the car drove down a street, again with tracks in it. Next the motor car came down a cobbled street and passed through a blue iron gate which was closed behind the car. And the street had tram tracks with a trailing crossover and another track coming off the main line and passing through the gate. And something make "click" in my mind. There can not be too many places in the world with that track layout. It looked like the entrance to the depot yard at Crich!

Now I wanted to find out more. A quick internet search afterwards revealed that the entire documentary is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuG0C-v ... er&list=UL It is in German (dubbed, not subtitled), the gate scene is at 8:17 but I suggest to start at 7:37 through to 8:42 or maybe 8:55 to see something very familiar.

The film BTW was shot in 2004 or 2005.

Good night

Christoph
Christoph Heuer
Administrator

by Advertising » 03.02.2011, 01:20

Advertising

Re: Titanic documentary

by Twingo2 » 04.02.2011, 00:38

Christoph.

It was filmed in 2004 i think using LCC 106. They used 106 as it was the nearest at the time to look as near to a belfast car. They filmed 106 going up and down the street in seperate scenes then put it together to show 106 passin it self in the street.

The assembly rooms also featured in the film as well as the depot fan and blue gates as you've seen.

Aaron
Twingo2

Re: Titanic documentary

by Christoph Heuer » 22.02.2011, 22:24

Hello,

Twingo2 wrote:(...)They filmed 106 going up and down the street in seperate scenes then put it together to show 106 passing itself in the street.
(...)

I now started to watch the entire film and something very familiar (in a way) appeared in the first part at 6:16: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPBCLWy ... re=related. It looks as if they either had some sort of platform like the cherry picker or did the lazy things and used another open top or balcony car to place the camera in that scene.

Regards

Christoph
Christoph Heuer
Administrator

Return to Crich Tramway Museum open Forum